Last updated on July 9th, 2023 at 12:31 pm
The construction industry, like any other industry, requires efficient management of human resources and material for the successful completion of a project at an optimum cost & role and responsibilities site engineer.
Building construction and management as a subject has a wide scope and to better understand it, practical experience is essential: Problems that are bound to crop up in every project can be handled expertly by the role and responsibilities site engineer
Efficient site set-up is one of the most basic and the simplest aspect of a systematic, planned, economical, and safe construction.
It ensures better utilization of available resources equipment, materials, and better control over the project.
Detailed planning along with good management ensures that the work is not held up at any stage.
Periodical inspection of the site coupled with suggestions helps in the completion of the work as per the time schedules and quality standards.
In this chapter, we will take a look at the role and responsibilities of the site staff at various levels. Different reporting systems, paperwork are required. set up of the site office and the filing of details, maintaining drawings, and site discipline will also be discussed in detail.
GENERAL BUILDING CONSTRUCTION SITE RULES – ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES SITE ENGINEER
- The site engineer must strictly follow the working hours of the site. He is expected to report at the site at least 15 minutes before the schedule to ensure proper allocation of the work for smooth functioning.
- Sunday is normally the weekly holiday, However, if the presence of a site engineer is required for attending to the customers, curing work, etc., then the site in charge may instruct a junior engineer supervisor storekeeper to be present on-site for the day.
- The site engineer supervisor is responsible for the on-time completion of the targeted job. In case of a backlog, extra hours should be put in to complete the work.
- Similarly, for every slab concreting, the site engineer and the supervisor should be present at the site until the completion of the slab.
- Employment of child labour is forbidden. Child labor can be defined as the labourer below eighteen years of age. The Engineer should inform the contractors and watchmen about the prohibition of child labour on site.
- Any accident on-site should be reported to the Head Office immediately. This will enable the management to take immediate action to help the affected employee.
- If the site engineer is forced to remain absent then he must convey his absence to the particular site as well as to the Head Office.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF SITE STAFF
- Complete devotion to work.
- The consciousness of responsibilities.
- Awareness of new techniques and products.
- Decision-making capacity to meet the challenges.
1. ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF STOREKEEPER
- Record the store material receipts and consumption on a daily basis.
- Checking the stock as per records.
- Receiving materials, stocking, recording of receipts, assisting J.E. to prepare quality reports of the received materials.
- Issue materials as per the indent for different works.
- General supervision on the site regarding wastage of material, improper use of material, etc.
- Recollecting any balance/ unused materials at the end of the working day.
- Handing over of the charge of material lying in the site premises to the night security personnel from the day security guards.
- Update records on display boards and display slates regarding the stock.
- Prepare fortnightly monthly consumption reports jointly with the Junior Engineer.
- Prepare a list of excess material.
- Update the stocks periodically.
- Inform the concerned engineer of the status of the balance material in order to raise further indent.
- Follow up with material suppliers, with prior consent from the purchasing department, to ensure timely supply.
- Maintain records of departmental tools, machinery, etc. on site.
- Maintain records of a cash purchase.
- Records of empty cement bags received from the contractor.
- Maintain records of electricity and water bills.
- Inform the concerned engineer of the working condition of the machinery.
2. ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF SUPERVISOR
- Day-to-day supervision of ongoing construction work.
- Maintain proper labour force to complete the specified departmental work.
- Co-operate with the storekeeper by supplying labourers for unloading the material received on the site.
- Assist J.E. in technical checking of the ongoing work.
- Prepare a daily list of the departmental labour employed and allocation of work, as instructed by the engineer.
- Check and control the wastage of material on site.
- Calculate the material required for a particular job.
- Co-ordinate with the respective agencies to keep up the speed of project completion.
- Collect material from the supplier as per the instructions issued by the engineer.
- Supervise concrete block-making work, inspect the quality of blocks and maintain the daily records of quantity for the casting of the blocks.
- Write, the number and date of canting after deshuttering of any concreted member.
- Assist J.E. in preparing daily reports, quality reports, bills, etc.
- Check the curing work.
- Check site cleaning regularly after the closing of the day’s work.
- Check the temporary water and electricity arrangement.
- Check and control the unnecessary movements of outsiders on the premises.
3. ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF JUNIOR ENGINEER (J.E.)
- Technical supervision of the ongoing civil work.
- Co-ordination between different contractors and agencies to maintain the project speed at the construction site.
- Control any wastage and improve the quality of workmanship.
- Work out the requirements of different materials for construction.
- Prepare requisitions for different materials well. in advance.
- Check the material received and prepare quality reports.
- Assist S.E. in maintaining the quality of all civil work such as concrete, masonry. plastering. flooring etc.
- Collect departmental labour payments from the Head Office and make payments to labourers with due receipts or vouchers.
- Make quality checks on the concrete blocks manufactured, along with their recordings.
- Communicate necessary instructions to supervisors and departmental labourers.
- Cash purchasing of the material from the market.
- Prepare and submit monthly consumption reports, daily progress reports, etc. with proper assistance from the storekeeper and the supervisor.
- Assist the Senior Engineer in preparing bills of different contractors.
- Control stores in absence of the storekeeper Raise memos to the concerned agencies for minor/major wastages that occurred on site.
- Collect the drawings from the Architect Structural consultants pune etc.
- Inform the Senior Engineer Project Engineer of any requirement of materials.
- Discuss technical problems drawings and execution difficulties with the Senior Engineer Project Engineer.
4. ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF QUALITY CONTROL ENGINEER
- Check the quality of all materials received on site.
- Check the stacking and storage of materials in various godowns and stores of the site systematically.
- Check the wastage of material at the site.
- Checking of work and reporting it to the Project Engineer.
- Before the commencement of a new activity, the Quality Control Engineer should issue N.O. C. to ensure preliminary preparations of the different stages of the work-related activities as per format.
- R.C.C. work
- Development work, etc.
- Checking safety measures.
- Observation of defects in materials received on site.
- Check buildings that are complete and ready for possession.
- Find solutions to practical problems faced during the execution of work, for maintaining optimum quality.
- Collect various suggestions from site engineers. analyze them and decide on the best alternative solutions, set up new quality control methods after discussion with the Directors.
- Implementation of advanced construction techniques.
5. ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF SENIOR ENGINEER (S.E.)
- Coordination between different agencies to ensure smooth working of the project.
- Maintain quality of work and control the wastage of materials at the site.
- Arrange the next day’s work in advance and ensure the procurement of material and labour.
- Discuss the practical problems faced during execution with P.E. and fìnd a suitable solution.
- Work out the quantities.
- Prepare the requirements of the material.
- Prepare rate analysis of various items.
- Check the daily progress reports.
- Prepare necessary R.A. bills, cash bills, final bills as per the work stage.
- Check any rectifications of structural and finishing work.
- Report to the C.E. in absence of P.E.
- Communicate all necessary information from the senior staff to the junior staff.
- Visit Architects, Structural Consultants. any other outside offices as per instructions by P.E. or in absence of P.E.
- Remain present for all types of concreting work.
- Get the maximum output from the junior staff and the laborers.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the site. Attend to the visitors and clients.
6. ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE PROJECT ENGINEER (P.E.) IN-CHARGE
- Complete responsibility for the smooth working of the project.
- Coordination with the architectural agency, structural consultants, and other consultants for completion of the scheduled work in time and quality.
- Keep an overall watch on the working of all the technical/non-technical staff and getting the maximum output from the team.
- Attend program meetings, conference meetings. seminars or any meetings.
- Prepare bar charts, schedules of the project, prepare to build wise schedules for quantities and material.
- Coordinate between all the agencies involved to achieve continuous progress at work.
- Attend to all the visiting clients, give them the necessary project information, guide them to the sales office, and clarify any queries regarding extra amenity work.
- Check all the running account bills prepared by the senior engineer and submit them to the Head Office for further procedures.
- Submit the daily reports of the site to the Head Office and report the progress of work to the chief engineer.
- Collect the ‘No Objection Certificates’ and record drawings with the help of different agencies involved, before handing over the project to society.
- Communicate the management decisions and information to the site-subordinate staff.
- Maintain the speed of the project, as outlined by the management, without compromising on quality at any stage.
- Test the materials as per the standard norms.
- Check any damaged/rejected work and report it to the chief engineer.
- Deal with the different Government authorities like P.W.D., Municipal Corporation. National Highway Department. Telephone Department etc.
- Inform the management of any new ideas development/economy etc. and suggest methods of practical implementation for the same.
- Coordinate with all the relevant departments in the Head Office i.e. the sales department. accounts department, purchase department.
- billing section, architect department, legal department, personnel department, etc.
- Prepare the initial planning. costing. programming and set up of the new projects.
- Check, verify, and correct all boundary markings.
- Carry out the theodolite and contour survey of total plots and prepare topographical maps.
- Collect all relevant information of surrounding projects that may prove useful in proper planning and designing of the project.
- Collect and send all the required technical data of soil investigation, water, and other resources availability, etc.
- Coordinate with the Architect and other consultants for the initial planning of projects.
ATTENDING TO THE VISITORS CLIENTS
Communicate the highlights of the project like the number of buildings, the total number of flats, major roads located nearby the project, nearby schools.
Also, Read This
IF YOU LIKE THIS POST ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES SITE ENGINEER, STOREKEEPER, SUPERVISOR, PROJECT ENGINEER, QUALITY CONTROL ENGINEER” LIKE THIS GETTING GOOD INFORMATION SO PLEASE SHARE THIS POST-SOCIAL NETWORK EXAMPLE FACEBOOK, TWITTER SOCIAL MEDIA SITES SHARE IT.